Not a good day on the D.I.Y. front. I decided to do a couple of simple jobs around the place. I thought I'd grease up my car and drain off the excess oil put in at the last service. The oil draining went reasonably well except for the puddles of oil on the drive. The greasing went less well. I couldn't find the grease points so I ended up covered in filthy grease but none went in the right place. I ran out of light. I'll have to try again later. What a bodge up.
I also stuck some insulation strips onto the exterior door frames. That worked well, they stopped the draughts remarkably well. The problem is that the doors won't lock properly. I can do it OK but Maggie doesn't seem to have the strength. I've spent ages trying to file out the striker plates but to no avail. What a bodge up.
Inside the house we have a door with wrought ironwork on one side of a glass panel. The painters didn't bother to take the glass out to paint the back of the ironwork when we moved in so I thought I'd do it now. Remarkably I got the glass out without smashing it but I can't get all the encrusted paint off the glass and I also realised that I had no silicone to seal the glass back in. So that we now have a very draughty living room until I get the silicone and I'm worried that if I try harder to get the paint from the glass I'll smash it. What a bodge up.