Sunday, September 03, 2006

SEAT 600D

The SEAT 600 was a direct copy of the Fiat 600 built under licence in Spain from 1957 to 1973. There were a few model changes along the way, the engine grew a bit and the car became more refined but basically it remained much the same.

The SEAT 600 is an icon in Spain. It is the car that gave mobility to the Spaniards. It's the car that anyone of a certain age remembers as the car that took them, and their Gran and their Aunty and everything they needed for a month's holiday to the seaside. They remember having to stop at the side of the road to let it cool down and they remember thinking that 80kph was fast.

I know someone who has a 1969 example for sale for at 3,500€. I went and drove it yesterday. It was surprisingly nippy, a bit heavy on the steering for such a small car, the gearchange was maybe a bit notchy and it didn't stop so quickly with its drum brakes but it was comfy and it made me grin. It was a bit like my first time in an MGB. No comparison with a modern, efficient car but bags of fun. If I had 3,500€ I'd buy it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment