Blogs in this series

Life in Culebrón is a very British view of life in a small village in Alicante province, my experience of Spain, of Spaniards and sometimes of the other Britons who live nearby. The tabs beneath the header photo link to other blogs written whilst I was living in other parts of Spain, to my articles written for the now defunct TIM magazine and to my most recent photo albums.

Saturday, October 27, 2007

The Joys of Public Transport

There's another long weekend due at the end of the month so I thought I'd go and see Maggie.

Problems in getting the transport sorted have included a bus company website not working for three days, a ticket office that only opens weekdays for two hours per day and a strike by one of the companies which may or may not mean that there is a coach for me to catch!

The best route involves me driving to the nearest big town to catch the bus (at 1am in the morning), hanging around a couple of hours in Madrid bus station and Maggie driving the 100kms from her home to Salamanca to pick me up. The reverse route also needs a car at each end and includes a three hour wait in Madrid.

Train times weren't any better and the cost was a fair bit higher; and we'd still need the two cars.

I considered hiring a car, it would have been much quicker but it would have cost about twice as much as the train. Mind you, if I hadn't been travelling alone it would have won hands down as the cheapest and fastest way.

And that in a country that still has a good public transport system.

No comments: