Blogs in this series

Life in Culebrón is a very British view of life in a small village in Alicante province, my experience of Spain, of Spaniards and sometimes of the other Britons who live nearby. The tabs beneath the header photo link to other blogs written whilst I was living in other parts of Spain, to my articles written for the now defunct TIM magazine and to my most recent photo albums.

Monday, December 31, 2007

El Escorial

Philip II was the Spanish King who had a bit of a tussle with Good Queen Bess, Elizabeth I.

Philip built a few ships to invade England in 1588 but whilst they were waiting to pick up an army from Holland a bit of a problem with the English fleet, the reputation of a certain Francis Drake and most particularly a spot of bad weather rather put paid to his invasion plan.

His home palace was this place, El Escorial. Quite a pile of stone. Bit austere. We were there yesterday.

No comments: