Blogs in this series

Life in Culebrón is a very British view of life in a small village in Alicante province, my experience of Spain, of Spaniards and sometimes of the other Britons who live nearby. The tabs beneath the header photo link to other blogs written whilst I was living in other parts of Spain, to my articles written for the now defunct TIM magazine and to my most recent photo albums.

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Bread

Generally in Spain, at home, when I eat bread, I eat stuff that looks a lot like Mother's Pride with that "normal" English loaf shape.

When I go anywhere near a bread shop or a supermarket I usually pick up a breadstick. I've always thought of that as being as standard a shape for Spanish bread as Mother's Pride is to English. But, the other day I bought a crusty round loaf, the sort that I would call a cob in the UK. It set me thinking because that's what we usually get when we go in slightly better restaurants; slices cut from a loaf.

So I asked a Spaniard what was the traditional loaf for this area. He said it's the rounded one. Particularly one called Pan sobado, the sort of bread that doesn't have a lot of "bubbles". Apparently it keeps well and even improves after a couple of days.

No comments: