Friday, June 06, 2008

More on quill pens

The bank said, finally, that Maggie and I could borrow money if we wanted to. The interest rate seemed OK to me, 1.75% above base rate but there is a set up fee, an administration fee and they are demanding that we take both the "in case of death" insurance and the "in case of dole" insurance. But, when all is said and done, that's just the way it's done here so no real complaints about any of that.

However, the loan agrement has to be notarised, goodness knows why, as the contract would still have the same force in law with or without the notary's stamp. Maybe it's just the mania that Spaniards have for rubber stamps. Even the lorry drivers, when they deliver things to the shop, are really concerned that I just sign the delivery notes rather than stamp them.

Anyway, so the contract needs notarising. I asked the bank how I did that as Maggie and I are seperated by some 750kms. Do we use a notary in each town for a signature, can the notary from one town confirm to the notary in the other town that everything is above board? Answer, no: there is no way, other than Maggie and I being in the same place as the Pinoso notary, for the contract to be notarised.

Scratch, scratch - pass the carbon paper and my powdered wig will you?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris!

    Try asking in a Bank (Banco) rather than the Caixa, which is "Caja" (more like a Building Society.) If I've understoud correctly, a banco has far more liberties to lend you money than a caja.

    I'm not absolutely sure on this, nor on the conditions the bank expects, but its worth checking!

    ReplyDelete