Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Another little difference - the diary

I've been keeping a diary since 1968. For years I used the A5, hardback size - the one beloved of Social Workers and Teachers - but, about 6 or 7 years ago I went over to the bigger A4 size.

In 2004/05, my first year in Spain, I tried to buy a big diary without success. I settled for the smaller A5 one. Since then I have been geting my diaries from the UK but this year my supply failed. It seemed, in fact it still seems, odd to me that A4 is so unavailable but, then again, getting plain ruled file paper here is tricky too - blank or squared are the usual formats. Have you ever noticed that in US TV programmes people often use yellow file paper? Different countries, different ways of achieving the same ends I suppose.

Being at home was an advantage. I know the woman in the stationers so I asked if she could order an A4 size diary. She wasn't sure - it was such an unusual size but her suppliers said "sí" and yesterday the diary arrived. I have a bit of a thing about stationery, nothing weird, I don't tie myself to it or anything, which means I have some idea about the pricing of items. I was ready for the shock. Nearly 29€ for a floppy, spiral bound design.

It's a good make said Susanna in the paper shop. Next year I may fly to the UK to collect one to save a bit of cash though I've just noticed that the Portuguese, our faithful allies, also use A4 diaries and Ciudad Rodrigo is only minutes from Portugal

No comments:

Post a Comment