Monday, August 03, 2009

Car Booting again

We seem to be soaking up the Britishness of inland Alicante at the moment. Maggie is keen; We've eaten curries and had several drinks in English run places and I'm sure that Maggie would have had me at the auction or the quiz if I hadn't screwed my face and made those funny little gasping noises.

Anyway I've mentioned the car boot sales before. I was snooty about them in the beginning but as I saw the way that all sorts of nationalities took to the idea I realised that they were a real cultural export and not just a way to shift dodgy goods.


The local car boot sale used to be about five minutes away from our house. The sale was run as a partnership between my old boss and a chap who runs a successful local English language magazine. That partnership hit some difficulties so the magazine publisher found himself another site and made sure that it was squeaky clean in relation to local byelaws and suchlike before he opened it up again.


The sale is running on a trial basis at the moment, just once a month, so this was our first chance to go and have a nose around. There were probably as many stalls as at the old place but, because the site has a different, layout it didn't feel so busy. The goods were different too, real car boot stuff, the things from lofts, garages and jumble drawers rather than stuff bought in for the occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment