Saturday, October 05, 2013

Home to stay

Usually coming home to Culebrón for the weekend is something to look forward to. Not this time. No, coming back to Culebrón today was a horrid journey for a horrid purpose.

I was bringing Eddie the cat home to bury him.

On Monday evening he left the flat in La Unión to enjoy a bit of freedom outdoors. He'd done the same thing several evenings on the trot usually whilst I had an after work cup of tea and a sit down. I went to bring him in, maybe an hour and a half later, at around one in the morning. I found him lying on the ground, unmarked, but quite obviously dead. Most likely it was a car, which seems incredible given the quietness of the streets, but dead he was.

Eduardo had been with us since July 2005 when he was tiny. He could be funny, he was always clever and at times he could be a right pain in the backside. Now he's buried besides the nispero tree in the garden in Culebrón.

My life will be substantially poorer without him.

1 comment:

  1. I was blog hopping and found yours, I read your sad post and wanted to reply and tell you how sorry I am that you lost your little furry friend. They become such a part of our lives. I am sure he lived a very happy life while he was with you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete