Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Knee high to a grasshopper

Do you think there's a cultural element to how we sweep up?

Just after the tiniest of earthquakes, yesterday evening, we had a bit of a downpour. It didn't last long but there was sufficient rain for our guttering to leak. So today I was on gutter cleaning. The mud from the gutter had to be swilled and swept from the interior patio and, because I was now mud spattered, damp and sweaty I thought, masochistically, to clear away the rotting peaches from under the tree and then to sweep the front yard.

The usual Spanish dustpan is like the one in the photo or maybe a plastic version of it. The way most people I see around me sweep up is to brush with one hand and collect with the other. I don't seem able to do that. I've tried but it  just doesn't seem natural. I prefer to sweep the debris into a pile and then to sweep the pile into the dustpan. It's the way that I've always done it. Learned at my mother's knee.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Chris, how is Culebron after all the rainfall?
    Interesting about the earthquake. Do you get these often?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris, how is Culebron after all the rainfall?
    Interesting point about the small earthquake, do these happen often?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't really say. We don't farm and I'm not sure how much of a pasting the local crops took. I'm not aware of anyone in the village having any particular problems. From our point of view our track took a hammering and we're having to avoid one of the two ways in as it is impassable but otherwise everything looks pretty much back to normal. In Pinoso there is still a fair bit of earth on the roads from the mud and there was lots of flood damage, for instance to cars in underground garages, but all of it depends how you were affected. Water coming in through an open window drowned my computer for instance but it's hardly front page news.

    Earthquke wise it was nothing. I remember a couple in the UK of a similar strength. It's the first I've been aware of in Pinoso but we did feel the Lorca tremor when we lived in Cartagena.

    ReplyDelete