Thursday, December 13, 2018

Twitching

I have pals who are very knowledgeable about birds. Those same people are likely to know about plants and trees too. If I know a few birds, a handful of trees and a couple of constellations, they can wax lyrical.

I've wondered about this in the past but it was a conversation about robins that reminded me. I was talking to a couple of students about Christmas cards. Cards are not a standard thing here. I mentioned that there were robins on Christmas cards. I translated robins to petirrojos. Nothing, not a glimmer. You know, like mirlos, gorriones, tordos, alondras, lavanderas. I was just digging a bigger hole; blackbirds, sparrows, thrushes, larks and wagtails were nothing to them. They just presumed my Spanish was as crap as it is. And these were a couple of professional, well travelled students who live in a small town surrounded by countryside.

I think that it's true to say that most Britons can recognise a big handful of birds. We know that we can mitigate the bad luck of seeing a single magpie with a friendly greeting. We know that those dusk time clouds of birds that settle on city centre buildings are starlings. I have no idea why but most of us can tell a crow from a kestrel. Sparrows, wrens, geese, gulls, cormorants, swallows and jays are known to us. This doesn't seem to be a city versus country thing. Country folk might better know which finch is which and whether it's a common or arctic tern but even if city dwellers are a bit unsure about the differences between swallows, swifts and martins they know that it's not a wagtail. And  even if we don't know the birds we know the names. If somebody were to tell us that's a such and such kite as against a such and such harrier we'd believe them because we know that harriers and kites are birds.

Now, obviously, some Spaniards know birds just as well as the most clued up of Britons. They know the difference between a bullinch and a chaffinch between a goldfinch and a greenfinch or between a sparrowhawk and a hen harrier but, for the majority of the Spaniards that I have ever spoken to about this, hunters apart, birds fall into three classes.

There are birds that float - these are ducks, patos. Even swans can be ducks. Then there are little birds. Sparrow sized birds. Theses are pajaritos which has no better translation than little birds. Finally there are pajaros; birds. and that includes everything that isn't a duck or a little bird.

Nice and simple at least.

3 comments:

  1. That is really interesting. My bird identifying skills are virtually zilch next to most of my friends, mind you, they seem authorities on wild flowers as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's nearly six years now since I became interested in bird watching. It all started with a trip to Gambia where I saw a huge variety of beautiful multi-coloured birds. My wife and I booked to return the following year and it was at this point that I decided to buy a decent camera to try and photograph what I was seeing. Bird photography is now my main hobby and passion.
    I am a lot more knowledgeable than I once was, notwithstanding that I still have a lot to learn.
    I am sure that I was totally oblivious to many of the birds around me. The slightest movement now catches my eye and I see so much more.
    Whilst walking with friends and work colleagues I would often spot a heron or a wagtail and make comment. Contrary to what you are suggesting I found that the vast bulk of the general British public couldn't identify even the most common of species. Mention a murmuration and they just started to wonder who was having the heart problem!
    I think your your ability to recognise the different species of bird is way above average and that you overestimate the ability of the rank and file 'Joe Public'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You really think so Bob? You don't think that most Britons know spuggies and robins and blackbirds and starlings and crows and pigeons and swallows and magpies. I do, Maggie does, every single one of the people I went to University with, and I still speak to does, my sister and her husband and her children do - you do, Trish, who made comment on this same post above does. The people that I worked with at the Ivo school and who I still talk to do. You could be right though. A friend was appalled when I didn't know who di Stéfano was - he was sure that everyone did, common knowledge.

    ReplyDelete