Wednesday, July 08, 2020

Getting the new Brexit version TIE

Maggie and I went for our new TIE cards, Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero, Foreigner's Identity Card, today. The idea of this entry is to explain the bare bones of the process for someone who has to do it and who already has one of the green residence forms or cards.

Now that we are no longer European Union Citizens we Britons can get this ID card, we have been able to since Monday. We don't have to, at least for a while, but we can. The advantage is, in a country that uses and demands ID all the time, we will have a credit sized card that will save us the bother of carrying around our passport and other floppy bits of paper. I think, though I'm not sure, that it also allows us to sign in for certain online transactions.

The process was pretty straightforward. I saw, online, that there were some appointments available and didn't hesitate to book them up straight away. Getting appointments for lots of the official procedures has been difficult for months, no doubt partly due to we Britons finally sorting out our missing paperwork as the getting Brexit done dates came and went and came and went. I was happy to get an appointment at all and amazed when I managed to get appointments for both Maggie and me within half an hour of each other on the same day. If you have a go and you find there are no appointments available try again later. They seem to come and go quite often.

The paperwork we needed was pretty simple. There's a form for the process available online, we also had to pay the 12€ fee beforehand, which we did at a local bank. As well as the two forms the Foreigner's Office wanted a copy of the form that shows your official address, the padrón, a copy of the green document that all we British immigrants call the residencia (mine was one of the A4 sized sheets), a photo and, of course, sight of the British passport. Hardly anything. There was a trick to come though but I was ready for it.

We found the Foreigner's Office in Alicante easily, parking was easy too and it was on "our" side of town. A bit before the appointed time I queued up outside. It was a short queue of maybe seven or eight people, I showed my appointment card to the security guard and he let me in. It was amazing the number of people he turned away because they didn't have appointments. Once inside I went through the security scanner and then tapped my appointment code into a machine. The machine spat out a sort of delicatessen counter ticket and the number on that ticket flashed up on a TV screen in the waiting area telling me where to go. I went to my appointed desk in the appointed room and handed over my paperwork. In the official list of required paperwork there was mention of passport and residencia - there was no mention of copies but I've been to a lot of government offices in my 15 years here and I've learned to carry more paper than they ask for. So, when they wanted a copy of the passport and a copy of the residencia I pulled them out of my bag, rabbit like. The biggest problem was my fingerprints. I had to give my fingerprints for the biometric data chip and it appears I don't have one or any. As I said to the bloke I must remember to use that finger on the trigger if the time ever comes. I tried lots of time, maybe forty times before they got the prints they needed. That done, paperwork stapled together, the man gave me a paper slip which told me where to collect my new card in "about" three weeks. I was out within about 20 minutes.

Maggie had a similar experience though the security guard wasn't around for twenty minutes or so, probably breakfast time, I kid you not, so she was a bit late getting in. And Maggie's top hat didn't work so well - she pulled out the residencia but not a copy of her passport so she had to go to the nearby bar to get a copy. Even then she only took about 40 minutes to complete the process.

Now, if the document turns up, as promised in three weeks, just one more trip to Alicante and we're in business.

This part was written on 30 July. I rang, yesterday, to see if the card was ready and they said it was. I was told there was no appointment system and just to turn up at Calle Campo de Mirra, 6 between 9am and 2pm. That's what I did. There was a bit of queuing but basically it was hand over the bit of paper I'd been given at the end of the first session, show my passport, hand in the green residence form, give a couple of fingerprints and leave with my new TIE card.

9 comments:

  1. 12€ to be paid on the modelo 790-12 beforehand

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to know Chris, thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris, you are a TIE trailblazer. Thanks for blogging your experience. My wife and I, existing permanent residents, are currently looking into doing the same thing. Just one question - what are the requirements for photographs? I can't find a guide anywhere regarding number and size.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The information that goes along with the EX23 says "Fotografía reciente en color del rostro del solicitante, tamaño 32x26 milímetros, con fondo uniforme blanco y liso, tomada de frente con la cabeza totalmente descubierta y sin gafas de cristales oscuros o cualquier otra prenda que pueda impedir o dificultar la identificación de la persona. (La fotografía deberá mostrar claramente el óvalo de la cara, que incluye cejas, ojos, nariz, boca y mentón, y deberá ser de alta resolución y en papel fotográfico de buena calidad)." so, basically, the usual sort of snap, no sunglasses, no hair in your eyes 32x26 size. It's the usual size for a DNI so any Spanish photography shop will bang it out for you at around 5/6€

      Delete
    2. Thank you Chris. That is most helpful - and thank you for keeping your blog going. We've followed it for a long time now. Always interesting and helpful - and often experiences we can relate to!

      Delete
    3. In that case thanks for reading. I thought it was down to me and my mum by now.

      Delete
    4. Hi Chris - mike and I went to murcia today and got ours - however the police wanted us to have a cita previa to have our fingerprint taken separate to having a cita previa for the TIE card... 3 other couples also got pulled up on this - I stood my ground a bit and eventually a helpful lady sorted our card and did our fingerprint there and then . Just a bit different to alicante....

      Delete
    5. Hi Ann: Odd that, there are lots of tales on the CAB website about people getting their TIEs and not a mention of a double appointment. Did you get the impression that it was an individual being awkward or do you think that's the way they do it in Murcia?

      Delete