Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Peanut butter isn't really a Spanish thing

This morning I was talking to a Sergio. As we got ready to go he said he was off for his breakfast. Get yourself some toast with avocado I quipped. This is because I've recently become aware that avocado on toast is a trendy Spanish breakfast. Sergio quipped back - with peanut butter and mango eh?

One advantage or disadvantage of using Skype to speak to someone is that you see them. I obviously looked confused. Sergio stayed online to say that Social Media Influencers, had been responsible for a huge run on those products in the recent past. He specifically mentioned a 100% peanut peanut butter sold by the Mercadona supermarket chain.

I had a look for Sergio's Internet Influencers by searching for peanut butter and I found them. I found several as you might expect but one bloke, Carlos Ríos, who shows 1.4 million followers on his Realfooding Instagram, popped up time and time again. He was quoted in lots of magazine and newspaper articles. Not that I really read any of the articles or looked at his Instagram properly but it looks as though he rates the healthiness of various foods, recommends easy to prepare healthy snacks and does food related stories with a healthy angle. A reasonable enough way to earn a living in the Internet age. You'll get the idea from one newspaper headline about him;  The nutritionist influencer who taught 400,000 young people to eat like their grandmas. Obviously my Spanish tutor Sergio is aware of these sort of people and the things they post about. They had completely passed me by until today but that's probably because I'm now very old and I say things like "I don't see the point in Instagram and TikTok".

Carlos, on his Realfooding Instagram, recommended this brand of Mercadona peanut butter. As soon as I saw the photos I realised I'd bought some last year. Apparently I'd bought it within days of its launch, I'd tasted it and then thrown it away. It tasted nothing like peanut butter and was completely horrid. Not worthy horrid like that unsalted, unsweetened Whole Earth brand peanut butter I sometimes bought in the UK. No, this peanut butter wasn't simply a bit boring and a bit too chewy for my sugar and fat saturated taste buds. The Mercadona stuff had a horrible runny consistency, it dripped off the toast but, more importantly, it tasted absolutely foul. 

Another lost opportunity to be hip and cool or whatever the TikTok generation says to mean the same!

2 comments:

  1. Chris, have just passed a very enjoyable hour reading your blog's which, until I read a article you had posted on Facebook (don't actually remember what it was about now, so engrossed have I become in your blog)!! Congratulations sirrah, and keep up the good (?) work.

    ReplyDelete