Thursday, November 26, 2020

Doctoring up

I don't go to doctors much. I don't particularly care for them. Nice enough people I'm sure but I often find that I feel unwell when I talk to them. My habitual worry is that they will tell me that I'm worse than even I imagined. I've been feeling a bit rough recently. Rough enough to go to the doctor. Of course getting to see a doctor at the moment isn't the usual process. The normal routine involves a few key taps on a phone application and then sitting around in a health centre for a long time after your supposed appointment. Not at the moment though, the app only offers phone consultations, so I booked one up. 

I think phone appointments with medical people are a good idea. Nobody has to travel, probably the doctors can deal with more people than usual in the same time and, to be honest, I see no reason why the conversational exchange that leads to a diagnosis shouldn't work just as well over the phone as in person. If a show and tell is needed then at worst talking to a doctor on the phone is an efficient triage system. The problem, for me is that doctors in Spain often speak Spanish. Phone calls, unlike face to face, offer no explanatory gestures, no pointing, no visual examples and no word negotiation. All you're left with is the spoken word. 

The doctor didn't ring at the agreed time. In fact she was 80 minutes late and I'd half given up on her. Fortunately I wasn't naked in the shower or half way up a ladder when she rang but I was raking leaves. Now forty years of sucking down cigar smoke have taken a toll on my lungs and, sometimes, I find myself panting and gasping for breath after the least exertion. Leaf raking must count as exertion because the first twenty seconds of the call didn't go well. Being unable to breathe is detrimental to dialogue. Respiration resumed the call went well. As a process it went well that is. Outcome wise I'm not so sure. Having dismissed the possibility that I may be at all ill she suggested over the counter medicine. All a bit of an anti climax really.

No comments:

Post a Comment